Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
About The Role
The Project Officer – Security is to provide security assessments for Christian Aid staff, the humanitarian response programme and the field offices within Borno State. This will be done by applying Christian Aid’s security protocols, in country assessments, contacts with the local security community, the UNDSS, INSO and other appropriate sources. The post holder will manage security, safety and associated risks to Christian Aid Nigeria staff, visitors, partners and the organization’s physical assets. He/she will technically line manage the guards within Borno office locations, whilst being answerable to the Security Advisor.
Salary (full time): ₦4,582,950
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Contracted hours: 35
Contract length: 6 molnths
Location: Borno State, Maiduguri
Closing date: 1 February 2018
Interview date: 16 February 2018
You are required to have a Degree in Social Sciences, Administration or Business with a minimum of 3 years’ experience in security and safety management/logistics in an international NGO. Field based experience in complex and insecure settings is essential. You are required to have a sound understanding of Nigerian social and political context and its impact on security; be well informed and knowledgeable about global security trends and issues. You will be expected to be willing to change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies. You are required to establish and maintain effective working relations with relevant internal and external stakeholders, with sensitivity and respect for diversity. You are required to have excellent analytical skills and experience of people management. Ability to effectively deal with the stress factor in security management situations and good understanding of Nigeria’s security issues is desirable. Experience in liaising with civilian, police and military government authorities, as well as with regional, national and international institutions is an added advantage.
- This role requires applicants to have the right to work in the country where this position is based.
- We value diversity and aspire to reflect this in its workforce. We welcome applications from people from all sections of the community, irrespective of race, colour, gender, age, disability, religion or belief.
- You can expect a wide range of rewards and benefits, including flexibility that will ensure you enjoy a good work/life balance.
As part of your application you will be asked to demonstrate your suitability by giving answers to the following questions:
- Tell us about a time when you had to establish and maintain relationships with a wide range of contacts and networks based on mutual rapport and respect. What was the context? Why did you need to establish the new relationships and why was your attitude to this important? What was your task? What outcomes were being sought? What actions did you take? How did you take them?
Strive for improvement
- Please tell us about a time when you have identified a better way of doing something having taken into account the implications of your proposal. What was the context? What was your ‘better way’? What was your task? What action(s) did you take? Why? How? What was the outcome? Was your proposal accepted? What was the impact?
- Tell us about a time when you handled a difficult issue with someone else with openness, honesty and respect. What was the context? What did you have to do? What did you say and how? What was the result? If you were successful, how did you know?
How to Apply: Interested and qualified candidates should click here to apply.